Baton Rouge, New Orleans People in Business for August 29, 2021 | Business
Baton Rouge district
Investar Bank, National Association recently promoted two senior executives to finance leadership positions. Rachel Cherco was promoted to treasurer. She will manage the bank’s investment portfolio and borrowings, perform investment analysis and manage liquidity. Cherco has worked at Investar for 15 years, as CFO and Chief Accounting Officer. She obtained a bachelor’s degree in accounting from LSU.
Candace LeBlanc, who has served as Chief Financial Officer for the past seven years, has been promoted to Chief Accounting Officer and Executive Vice President. She will oversee the accounting department and work with the CFO on various financial strategies. LeBlanc holds a bachelor’s degree in finance from Southeastern Louisiana University and a master’s degree in accounting from the George Washington University School of Business. She is a certified accountant.
Larry Conner was appointed Chief Financial Officer of Regymen Fitness and The blanket.
Conner brings over 30 years of experience in the health and fitness industry. He was CFO / Controller of Elmwood Fitness Center, Director of Pelican Athletic Club on the North Shore, General Manager of another Franco’s Athletic Club gym, and helped build Stone Creek in Covington.
The Gulf Water Institute appointed three new members to the board of directors: Earthea nance, Merritt Lane III and William J. “Bill” Merrell.
Nance, associate professor at the Barbara Jordan-Mickey Leland School of Public Affairs at Texas Southern University, is a certified floodplain manager and a licensed professional civil engineer with over 15 years of experience as an environmental engineer. She was the director of disaster management and planning for New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina, raising and managing more than $ 59 million in recovery-related grants. She has an additional 14 years of experience in academia. Nance was an assistant professor of environmental planning and risk mitigation at the University of New Orleans.
Lane, President, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Directors of Canal Barge Co., has been involved in the management of inland waterways in Louisiana and across the country for decades. Lane has served as chairman of the American Waterways Operators and Waterways Council Inc., and a member of the boards of the National Waterways Foundation and the US Coast Guard Foundation.
Merrell, Regents Professor of Marine Sciences at Texas A&M University in Galveston, has worked for nearly four decades on large-scale ocean physics, coastal processes, hurricane impacts and, more recently, coastal sustainability, the disaster mitigation and recovery. Merrell is the only person to have twice received the Distinguished Service Award from the National Science Foundation. His knowledge and experience in Texas and across the country will be a great addition to the board.
New Orleans area
Lakeview Regional Medical Center, a Tulane Medical Center campus, has hired Candice verke as the new labor and delivery manager. Most recently, Verke worked at West Florida Hospital in Pensacola, Florida.
Verke holds an Associate’s Degree in Nursing from the University of South Dakota and is currently working on a bachelor’s degree.
The United Nations Research and Technology Foundation and The beach at the UN, A Sandbox for Collaboration, promoted four team members.
Greg Hammarstrom is Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, where he will oversee strategic planning and operations.
Troy carmichael is director of operations, overseeing all installations and engineering.
Darlene Fredricks is a real estate coordinator, where she will lead tenant relations and real estate services.
Blair Bourgeois is a project manager, where she will be the administrator of the grant from the Environmental Protection Agency for the Lake Pontchartrain Basin Restoration Program.
Dr William T. Freeman de Prairieville was sworn in as the 141st president of the Louisiana State Medical Society at the annual meeting of the organization’s House of Delegates. A native of Natchitoches, Freeman received his undergraduate degree in premedicine from the University of Louisiana at Monroe. He graduated from LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans and completed his residency at LSU Earl K. Long / Baton Rouge General Medical Center.
Dr. John W. Noble Jr., of Lake Charles, was elected president-elect of the organization. Noble is a board certified orthopedic surgeon and graduated from LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans. He will assume the presidency at the 2022 House of Delegates meeting.
Other physicians in leadership roles:
- Dr Katherine L. Williams, obstetrician and gynecologist in Covington, past president.
- Dr George Ellis Jr., a New Orleans ophthalmologist, vice president.
- Dr Richard Paddock, a urologist from Marrero, treasurer.
- Dr T. Steen Trawick, CEO of Christus Shreveport-Bossier Health System, Speaker of the House.
- Dr R. Reece Newsome, a radiologist from Baton Rouge, vice-president.
- Dr David Broussard, anesthesiologist from New Orleans, chairman of the legislative council.
Doctors elected to represent the districts and sections of the LSMS on the board of directors:
- Dr Donnie Batie, family medicine, Baton Rouge.
- Dr Andy Blalock, nephrology, Lafayette.
- Dr Robert Chugden, emergency medicine, Marrero.
- Dr James Connolly, otolaryngology, Covington.
- Dr Blake Denley, internal medicine, New Orleans.
- Dr Brian Gamborg, family medicine, Lake Charles.
- Dr Gwen Jackson, Obstetrics / Gynecology, Monroe.
- Dr. Richard “Rick” J. Michael, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, Shreveport.
- Dr Amberly Nunez, Pathology, Baton Rouge.
- Dr Marcus Pittman, family medicine, Covington.
- Dr Michael Roppolo, nephrology, Baton Rouge.
- Dr Bennett Schmidt, internal medicine, Covington.
- Dr Maurice Sholas, pediatrics, New Orleans.
- Dr Vicki Steen, obstetrics / gynecology, Madisonville.
- Dr Lance Templeton, urology, Alexandria.
- Dr Allen Vander, nephrology. Thibodaux.
- Dr Nick Viviano, dermatology, Mandeville.
- Brittany Wagner, medical student, LSU Health, Shreveport.